How to install Mantis Bug Tracker on Debian 7 (wheezy)
What is Mantis Bug Tracker?
It is open-source, free, web-based bugtracking system written in PHP which works with MySQL, PostgreSQL and MS SQL databases.
Mantis BT has the following main features:
- Time tracking
- Source code integration
- Issue relationship graph
- Custom fields and workflow
- Anonymous access
- and many many more…
For this set-up we are using one of our Debian Linux VPSes that come pre-installed with the LAMP Stack, so we are assuming you have a working LAMP stack on your machine before proceeding with the steps below.
1. First of all, make sure your Debian Wheezy is fully up-to-date by executing:
apt-get update apt-get upgrade apt-get dist-upgrade
2. Next, change to your /var/www directory, download the latest stable version of Mantis BT from here and extract it by executing:
mkdir -p /var/www cd /var/www wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mantisbt/mantis-stable/1.2.15/mantisbt-1.2.15.tar.gz tar zxf mantisbt-*.tar.gz mv mantisbt-1.2.15 mantis chown www-data: -R mantis/
3. Create MySQL database for Mantis BG: (the installer can do this for you, but we suggest using the command line)
mysql -u root -p mysql> create database mantisDB; mysql> grant all on mantisDB.* to [email protected] identified by 'MySecurePassword'; mysql> flush privileges; mysql> \q
4. Navigate to http://<YOUR_IP>/mantis/admin/install.php and fill your database details as shown in the picture below:
Once Mantis BT is installed, proceed with logging into the administration panel using the default credentials:
make sure you change your ‘administrator’ password in the ‘My Account’ section. Once your ‘administrator’ password is changed, proceed with removing the ‘admin’ directory by executing:
rm -rf /var/www/mantis/admin/
Of course you don’t have to do any of this if you use one of our Linux VPS Hosting services, in which case you can simply ask our expert linux admins to install this for you. They are available 24×7 and will take care of your request immediately.
PS. If you liked this post please share it with your friends on the social networks using the buttons on the left or simply leave a reply below. Thanks.