Magento is one of the world's most widely used eCommerce solutions, with over 240,000 active websites and over 2,300 partners worldwide. It is a platform that allows online retailers to build, manage and grow their online stores. It comes with a wide range of features and functionality that provide an excellent foundation for any eCommerce business. And because it is such a widely used platform, a vast community of people is familiar with its ins and outs.
Magento is one of the most modular eCommerce platforms out there. That means that its functionality can be extended with third-party modules and add-ons. You'll be able to find a huge selection of modules designed to help you take your store to the next level.
There are several reasons why so many businesses choose to build their eCommerce stores using Magento. Some of the benefits of using Magento are:
- Vibrant and active community – if you ever run into issues with your Magento store, you can rest assured you'll be able to find an answer to your problem.
- Easy scalability – Being such a modular platform, Magento leaves space for more scalability. Even if you start with a fairly basic site, you can easily add functionality and add-ons as your business grows.
- Flexibility – You can use Magento to build almost any eCommerce store, from a basic one-product site to a complex, highly functional site with thousands of products.
Naturally, there are some drawbacks to using Magento, such as:
- Initial investment Since it is a platform with a steep learning curve, it might require the initial costs of hiring a developer to help you set up and manage your store.
- Technical knowledge required – Magento requires a certain level of technical expertise. Although plenty of options are designed for non-technical people, you'll need to be a bit tech-savvy to take advantage of them.
- The ever-changing eCommerce landscape – New technologies come and go, and Magento is no exception. As new technologies emerge and recent trends happen, you need to keep an eye on them and decide if they're worth incorporating into your website
- Magento upgrades – To stay up-to-date and take advantage of everything Magento has to offer to you, you'll have to update and upgrade regularly.